From 1854 to 1891, troops from Fort Davis protected travelers, mail coaches, freighters, and settlers along the San Antonio - El Paso Road. The post was one of the first in the west where soldiers of African descent served. From 1867 to 1885, black troops from the 24th, 25th, and 41st Infantry Regiments and from the 9th and 10th Cavalry were stationed at the post. The first black graduate of West Point, Lieutenant Henry O. Flipper, served at the post in 1880 and 1881.
Although the story of the black soldiers on the western frontier has been largely overlooked, Fort Davis National Historic Site is one area where visitors can learn about the "Buffalo Soldiers." An enlisted men's barracks is restored and refurnished to the summer of 1884 when Troop H of the 10th Cavalry occupied it. Museum exhibits, site bulletins, and an introductory slide presentation all help to relate the story of the Buffalo Soldiers. Visitors to Fort Davis have the opportunity to learn about the accomplishment of these men and role they played in the peaceful settlement and development of the American West.
Your Visit: A unit of the National Park Service, today Fort Davis is regarded as the best surviving example of a late 19th century military post in the Southwest. Five of twenty-five restored buildings have been furnished to their 1880s appearance. Fort Davis National Historic Site is located in the Davis Mountains of West Texas, on the northern edge of the town of Fort Davis. From Interstate 10 on the north or US 90 on the South, the site can be reached by Texas Routes 17 and 118. Accommodations are available in town or at nearby Davis Mountains State Park.
Visiting hours for Fort Davis National Historic Site are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. between early September and late May, and from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. the rest of the year. The site is closed December 25.
Please send comments or questions to:
Back to Lest We Forget Home Page